Greek police move thousands of asylum seekers displaced by fire to new camp

The Moria camp burned down last week in fires that Greek authorities said were deliberately set over lockdown restrictions imposed after a coronavirus outbreak.
Load more
Read full article on: globalnews.ca
City of Calgary honours Orange Shirt Day with moment of silence at city hall
Orange Shirt Day, held annually on Sept. 30, started in 2013 as a way to acknowledge the experiences of First Nations, Metis and Inuit children in residential schools.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
U.S. election: A look at Trump’s claims about mail-in voting
In the final segment of the contentious debate between Trump and Democrat Joe Biden, Trump launched into an extended argument against mail voting, claiming without evidence that it is ripe for fraud and suggesting mail ballots may be "manipulated."
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Car reaches speeds of 170 km/h evading Saskatchewan RCMP
RCMP said a car reached speeds of over 170 km/h while fleeing from officers west of Saskatoon.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Toronto Star bestsellers for the week ending Sept. 30, 2020
The books Canadians bought this week
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...
Terror hoax charge followed investigation into U.S. podcast content, RCMP says
The New York Times said it was 'undertaking a fresh examination' of Shehroze Chaudhry's story.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Ministry of Labour investigates workplace death in Quinte West: OPP
OPP say the Ministry of Labour is taking over an investigation into a workplace death in Quinte West.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
William Hill faces breakup after accepting Caesars bid
Caesars Entertainment Inc.’s takeover bid was accepted by William Hill’s board, according to a statement Wednesday, strengthening its position to expand in the lucrative business of online gaming in the U.S.
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...
1 new travel-related case of COVID-19 reported in Nova Scotia Wednesday
The province said the new case is in the Northern Zone and is related to travel outside of Canada.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Burnaby RCMP investigate alleged racially motivated attack at Metrotown SkyTrain station
One of the three suspects is described as a Caucasian man in his 40s who was wearing a yellow hoodie, beige pants and black hat. 
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Ottawa man, 24, charged following ‘smash-and-grab’ thefts at Nepean businesses
Ottawa police say a 24-year-old man was charged after three businesses on Merivale Road were broken into on Tuesday night.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Toronto-area rom-con artist sentenced to 6 years for defrauding woman of life savings
In jailing Shaun Rootenberg today, the judge said the accused had shown no remorse for his destructive behaviour.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Worker at Loblaws in Masonville area tests positive on presumptive coronavirus test
'Team members who worked closely with this individual are now at home in self-isolation, monitoring for any symptoms.'
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Coronavirus: Latest developments in the Greater Toronto Area on Sept. 30
Here are the latest developments on the coronavirus pandemic in the Greater Toronto Area for Wednesday.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
26 Albertans facing 63 charges after province-wide child pornography investigation
A three-month investigation led to child pornography charges being laid against 26 people across the province of Alberta.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
What’s allowed and what’s not in Quebec’s coronavirus red zones
The red zone designations comes with a lot of new rules aimed to stop COVID-19.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Cyberpunk 2077 publisher orders six-day weeks ahead of launch
CD Projekt Red told employees on Monday that a six-day work weeks will be mandatory leading up to the November release of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077, reneging on an earlier promise to not force overtime on the project.
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...
Doug Ford’s Sept. 30 Ontario COVID-19 update: Live video
The premier provides the latest update on measures being taken against the coronavirus The post Doug Ford’s Sept. 30 Ontario COVID-19 update: Live video appeared first on Macleans.ca.
Macleans.ca - Canada's national...
Senior charged after victim suffers life-threatening injuries in domestic incident
At about 5:20 p.m. Monday, officers say they found the 86-year-old with 'very serious' injuries.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
‘I feel like the shoe will continue to drop’: Orangeville extends relief measures for transit, taxes, and water rates
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...
Montreal police investigate violent ‘altercation’ that sends pedestrian to hospital
Montreal police are investigating what is being called a violent altercation that sent a pedestrian to hospital after being struck by a vehicle repeatedly, according to police.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Pompeo urges Vatican to join U.S. in denouncing human rights abuses in China
In his remarks, Pompeo echoed the Trump administration's harsh criticism of Beijing, which increased after the coronavirus was first detected in China, and as the U.S. Nov. 3 presidential election neared.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Dozens charged, millions in property and cash seized in alleged illegal casino bust: York police
York Regional Police say 33 people have been charged with more than 70 counts, including alcohol and weapons charges, in an investigation dubbed Project End Game.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Ontario’s police watchdog closes investigation in relation to incident at RVH
'The medical records do not establish that the woman suffered any 'serious injury' within the SIU's mandate,' the organization's director said.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
New Brunswick reports no new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday
To date, New Brunswick has confirmed 200 cases of COVID-19, and six cases remain active.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Coronavirus: Latest developments in Ottawa on Sept. 30
Two more people in Ottawa have died in relation to COVID-19, according to provincial coronavirus data released Wednesday.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Carl Zehr Square at Kitchener City Hall may not reopen until next August
The city has hit a few snags in a renovation project at city hall and in Carl Zehr Square.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Coronavirus live updates: Quebec reports 838 new cases as hospitalizations continue to rise
Quebec to outline red-zone enforcement plans today.
1 h
Montreal Latest News, Breaking Headlines...
Ottawa Inks Deal For 7.9 Million Antigen Tests Not Yet Approved For Use
OTTAWA — The Liberal government pushed back against criticism over a lack of rapid tests for COVID-19 on Tuesday as it unveiled a deal to buy millions of such devices from a U.S. company — whenever Health Canada approves them.Canadians across the country have been forced to wait days to find out if they are infected after being tested for COVID-19, which Canada’s chief public health officer acknowledged Tuesday as a reason for concern.“It absolutely is worrisome because if you have a significant backlog and people don’t get their test results for a number of days, you’ve now lost time for doing the contact tracing,” Tam said at a media briefing in Ottawa.“That can accelerate the spread. So it is something we really must all work together and try to reduce as quickly as possible.”That came as the number of positive cases across Canada continued to increase, with more than 500 in Ontario and nearly 800 in Quebec alone. Authorities in Montreal and Quebec City went to their highest alert level while Ontario Premier Doug Ford faced calls for a tightening of COVID-19 restrictions.Rapid tests that can produce results in hospitals, nursing homes, schools and even homes have come to be seen as one way to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as the world waits for a vaccine. Medical experts will make the determinations that are best for Canadians.Prime Minister Justin TrudeauWhile Health Canada approved one test last week that doesn’t need a lab, the device still needs about 90 minutes for a result and involves a portable unit. The focus for many has instead been on what are called antigen tests, which have been described as similar to a pregnancy test when it comes to speed and ease of use.Other countries have already approved rapid antigen tests, with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday announcing plans to buy and distribute 150 million units of one rapid test in the country. The World Health Organization has also reached an agreement to supply 120 million tests to developing countries.Yet the number of approved antigen tests in Canada currently sits at zero, with officials warning that approving a device that does not produce accurate results can actually spread of COVID-19.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau defended federal regulators on Tuesday as the Conservatives blasted the government for the lack of antigen tests and called on the Liberals to step up their efforts.“Medical experts will make the determinations that are best for Canadians,” Trudeau told reporters after co-hosting a United Nations conference to raise money for COVID-19 relief efforts in developing countries. “On the political side, as much as we’d love to see those tests as quickly as possible, we’re not going to tell our scientists how to do their job and do that work.” READ MORE Quebec Puts Major Limits On Big Cities As COVID-19 Spreads Ontario's 2nd COVID-19 Wave Is Here And It Could Be A 'Tsunami': Ford Ontario Mandates Curfew For Bars, Restaurants As Strip Clubs Shut Down Even as Trudeau defended the lack of tests, Health Canada was unveiling its first-ever guidelines for companies hoping to get their antigen devices approved by the regulator. The federal procurement minister also announced a deal to purchase 7.9 million such tests once they are sanctioned.The new guidelines state that a device must be at least 80 per cent accurate to be authorized, reflecting concerns that inaccuracies — particularly false negatives — can lead to the further spread of COVID-19. That includes five antigen tests currently under review.Asked why the guidelines were only being published now when the rush to develop and approve a rapid antigen test has been underway for months, Health Canada’s chief medical adviser, Dr. Supriya Sharma, indicated the standard was already being applied.“We’ve had companies come in with submissions,” she said.“We’ve been looking at those submissions, we’ve been working with them on a case-by-case basis as we go through that process. This is a way to sort of standardize that, systemize it and put it out in a guidance document where it’s publicly available.”Sharma went on to describe the effort to approve a rapid antigen test in Canada as one of the regulator’s top priorities. She suggested one of the reasons some devices have been approved elsewhere but not here is because the companies behind them have not submitted them to Health Canada.“You have to have a company that has a willingness to submit to Canada, but most importantly, has the capacity to produce those devices,” Sharma said. “As soon as we’re aware of a company that may be manufacturing a device and marketing it internationally … we do have staff that would reach out.”Watch: Tories take aim at Trudeau over COVID-19 relief bill. Story continues below.  As Ottawa was inking deals for vaccine doses ahead of the inevitable global rush that will accompany the successful development of an inoculation, Procurement Minister Anita Anand on Tuesday announced a deal with U.S. firm Abbott Laboratories for 7.9 million yet-to-be-approved antigen tests.Sharma could not say when the Abbott test, or any others currently under review by Health Canada, will be approved. The test was conditionally approved in the U.S. earlier this year before concerns were raised about its accuracy. The Food and Drug Administration reissued its approval this month.  Conservative health critic Michelle Rempel Garner accused the Liberals of having been asleep at the wheel while other countries rushed to get rapid tests into the field.She called on Health Minister Patty Hajdu to personally lead Canada’s efforts to get devices into the approval process.“She should be out actively looking for these types of technologies and proactively getting them into the review process,” Rempel Garner said“At a time when every country in the world is proactively trying to acquire and develop these technologies to protect their people, Justin Trudeau’s cabinet is content to say: ‘We’re letting them come to us.’ Our allies are winning in this race for supplies.”This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 29, 2020.With files from Mia Rabson and Mike Blanchfield.
1 h
Huffington Post Canada - Canadian News...
Order takeout, support Montreal businesses as October lockdown looms: Plante
"It will be 28 days that will be particularly difficult for restaurateurs, bar owners and also the cultural milieu."
2 h
Montreal Latest News, Breaking Headlines...
‘Move to Canada’ searches explode during chaotic Trump-Biden debate
Some Americans who watched the first presidential debate started looking for an 'ehxit' on Tuesday night.
2 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
36 Canadian senators call for New Brunswick to ensure access to abortion
The senators issued their call as Fredericton’s Clinic 554 is set to close at the end of the month.
2 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
N.S. government joins Canada’s largest virtual career fair to attract job seekers
The province will host two interactive live webinars: 'A Workforce Attraction Webinar' and an immigration webinar.
2 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Blanchet, O'Toole return to Parliament after being cleared from COVID-19 isolation
Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet and Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole are back on Parliament Hill today, after being cleared by public health to leave their COVID-19 self-isolations.
2 h
CTV News | Top Stories - Breaking News -...
Peterborough man charged with thefts at mall: police
Peterborough police allege the man stole items from a couple of stores.
2 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Kousoulis first candidate to join Nova Scotia Liberal leadership race
The contest to replace Stephen McNeil as leader of the Nova Scotia Liberal party and premier officially has a candidate.
2 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...