Northern B.C. teacher suspended after referencing Bill Clinton, fellatio in class
In September 2019, Strachan was taking attendance in his Grade 11 homeroom when he differentiated between two students with the same name by referring to one as the student who had "hooked up with five guys."
Vancouver News, Top Stories, Breaking...
Coronavirus: Montreal high school students happy about less in-school time, but miss socializing
High school students say they're relieved about spending less time in school, but at the same time, miss socializing.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Halifax receives $8.7M for rapid housing
Municipalities have just a month to submit their proposals to the federal government for how they're going to use the funds, and then the projects must be completed within a year.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Blanchet wants Trudeau to apologize for his father's passage of War Measures Act during October Crisis
OTTAWA — Bloc Quebecois Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet is urging the federal government to apologize for legislation that remains controversial 50 years after its passage during the October Crisis in Quebec. In October 1970, the Liberal government under then-prime minister Pierre Trudeau decided to suspend civil liberties by invoking the War Measures Act in response to the kidnapping of a Quebec cabinet minister and a British diplomat by members of the militant FLQ separatist group. The legislation, passed at the request of the Quebec premier and Montreal’s mayor, saw soldiers patrolling the streets as authorities rounded up hundreds of residents under suspicion of involvement in the abductions. In a motion put forward this week, Blanchet demanded an official apology from the prime minister for his father’s deployment of the army to arrest and detain without charge nearly 500 Quebecers. Blanchet said he has not secured support from any other parties. He criticized the Conservatives for refusing to call for an apology over a law that “attacked the dignity of a whole nation.” October Crisis: The discovery of Pierre Laporte’s body 50 years ago still haunts Canada Conrad Black: The October Crisis cemented democracy in Quebec Blanchet also invoked former Progressive Conservative leader Robert Stanfield, who backed the Liberal government in invoking the War Measures Act but later expressed regret over it. “You cannot pretend to be deeply in love with Quebec without respecting the desire of Quebecers to receive some apologies from Her Majesty’s government,” Blanchet told reporters Wednesday. Opposition House leader Gerard Deltell confirmed the Conservatives plan to vote against the motion on Thursday. “For us the October Crisis is first and foremost the death of the deputy premier of Quebec, Pierre Laporte, a guy who had been elected by the people of Quebec who had been killed by terrorists,” Deltell said on his way into the Conservative caucus meeting. The October Crisis, which culminated in the discovery of Laporte’s body in the trunk of a car, marked the first time the War Measures Act had been invoked in peacetime.
National Post | Canadian News, Financial...
City releases tentative plans for rapid transit in Downtown London
The City of London is sharing plans for Phase 1 of the Downtown loop of the Rapid Transit plan.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Cogeco says COVID-19 pandemic had less impact on its cable, internet arm in summer quarter
'We are satisfied with the results at Cogeco Media given the impact that the pandemic had on the advertising market,' chief executive Philippe Jette said in a statement.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Could The Toronto Raptors Play In Kansas City Next Year? The Mayor Wants It
Could the Raptors play from somewhere other than Toronto next season?It’s not impossible, considering ongoing restrictions at the Canada-U.S. border. While the NBA is working to sort out how the next season of professional basketball will be played, a certain U.S. mayor is already putting in a bid for the Raptors to come to his city.It might mean changing the slogan from “we the north,” however, to “we the midwest” when the new season kicks off in late December.Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas made a bilingual plea on Twitter Tuesday for the Raptors to make the move to Missouri, suggesting the team would feel right at home in the cold there. Good morning, Kansas City! It’s currently 13 degrees colder here than in Toronto (7 degrees Celsius). #WeTheNorthBonjour, KansasCity! Il fair actuallement 13 degrés de moins ici qu'à Toronto (7 degrés Celsius). pic.twitter.com/MDHvaOsADJ— Mayor Q (@QuintonLucasKC) October 27, 2020“Good morning, Kansas City! It’s currently 13 degrees colder here than  in Toronto (7 degrees Celsius). #WeTheNorth,” Lucas wrote in English and French. Though Canadians in the replies were quick to make a few corrections, including to Lucas’s well-intentioned, if not entirely accurate, French.Appreciate the multilingual tweet! Nice to see in America.One correction: "Il fait" is the conjugation for the verb faire/telling the weather— A Burning Book
Huffington Post Canada - Canadian News...
Doug Ford says Ontario’s coronavirus numbers ‘moving in right direction’
Ford says new modelling expected Thursday will show some improvement in how the second wave of the pandemic is playing out in the province.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Netflix Canada in November 2020: What’s new this month
Jaime Weinman’s rundown of all the new shows and movies worth checking out this November on Netflix in Canada The post Netflix Canada in November 2020: What’s new this month appeared first on Macleans.ca.
Macleans.ca - Canada's national...
Former Alberta MP Don Mazankowski dies
Don Mazankowski, who served as Member of Parliament for Vegreville for 25 years, passed away Tuesday night.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Former Canadien Alex Galchenyuk signs with Senators
After more than two weeks on the NHL free-agency market, the No. 3 overall draft pick in 2012 agreed to a one-year deal worth US$1.05 million.
Montreal Latest News, Breaking Headlines...
Tilting tanker off coast of Venezuela could spill 1.3 million barrels of oil into Atlantic
Fisherman in the Caribbean are calling for a state of emergency to be declared, after evidence emerged of an sinking oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela, threatening to spill over 1.3 million barrels of oil into the ocean. The Nabarima, a Venezuelan tanker partly operated by Italian energy giant ENI, was first noticed to be tilting in July. By August, crews discovered that water was leaking into the ship, threatening to sink it. She is in “very poor condition,” tweeted Eudis Girot, the head of the Unitary Federation of Petroleum Workers of Venezeula on Aug. 31, warning that the tanker held about nine feet of water in her lower decks. Photos with the post showed flooding in various sections of the interior of the vessel. Last month Gary Aboud, who represents the fishing community in Trinidad, got close enough to the tanker to show the gravity of the risk to the entire Southern Caribbean. “What we found was frightening,” Aboud said in a video posted online on Sept. 7. The tanker appeared to be tilting at an angle of 25 degrees, Aboud said in the video, while pointing at the ship just a few feet away from him. Currently the ship is held in place by anchor chains, although it isn’t clear how strong the chains are, and how long they will be able to control the tanker. The chains “aren’t enough,” Aboud said, adding that poor weather could cause the tanker to flip. The situation could also be exacerbated by a particularly active 2020 tropical cyclone season, which has already seen 28 cyclones, 11 hurricanes and four “major” hurricanes. In his video, Aboud criticized Trinidad and Tobago government officials for a lack of response to the situation, which has now been ongoing for three months. An oil spill of this magnitude could wreck the livelihoods of over 50,000 local fisherman who rely on the sea, cause long term ecological harm to the biodiversity in the nearby coral reef, and pose a broader regional risk, Forbes reported. “This requires national emergency,” Aboud said. “(I’m) calling on the government of Trinidad and Tobago to wake up and do something.” International maritime reports have also been calling for action since early September, the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian reported, and government officials have asked for verification from Venezuelan officials on the status of the tanker. In early September, Trinidad and Tobago Energy Minister Franklin Khan noted that initial reports from Venezuelan authorities described the vessel to be in upright and stable condition. “The Energy Ministry through the Venezuelan Embassy has offered any assistance, technical or logistical to the Government of Venezuela that it may require. Also, the Minister of Energy is in contact with his Venezuelan counterpart for further updates as they become available,” a spokesman for Khan stated. According to Khan, Trinidad and Tobago and Venezuela have a bilateral agreement which includes an oil spill contingency plan, “in the event of a genuine risk exists or an active spill occurs.” “This is the agreement that will govern the action of the Government,” he said. Should the spill occur, it will be the fourth major oil spill from Venezuela in the past three months. In early September, fisherman and experts confirmed that oil was leaking into the sea near Falcón State, in north-east Venezuela, from a cracked underwater pipeline linked to attempts to restart fuel production at a refinery. The month before, photos showed beaches and mangroves around Moroccoy National Park, on the west-central Venezuelan coast, slicked in oil. The images quickly gained traction online before local officials said a clean up effort was taking place. Research released two weeks later by Simón Bolívar University attributed the oil spill to the incompetence of state authorities working at the nearby El Palito refinery, located 66 kilometres south of the park.
National Post | Canadian News, Financial...
‘I got to see my dad again’: Canadian Chase Claypool helps lifelong Steelers fan with dementia reconnect with family
It all started with a TikTok video after a simple question from B.J. Swoager to his father: “Dad, what would make you happy?” Sincere messages and a signed jersey from B.C.-born receiver Chase Claypool made a life-changing difference.
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...
School zone speeding tickets in Saskatchewan less than half compared to 2019
Saskatchewan Government Insurance says less than half the number of school zone speeders were caught last month compared to September 2019.
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Langley teacher suspended after dragging student into hall while child cried in fetal position
Roxann Desiree Rojas has held a teaching certificate since 2004 and was teaching Grade 3 in Langley at the time of two separate 2018 incidents involving two different students.
1 h
Vancouver News, Top Stories, Breaking...
N.S. top doc says communication is key after Irving Shipbuilding walkouts over quarantine exemption
Dr. Robert Strang said at a COVID-19 update that it's important for businesses to communicate with workers if they are bringing in specialized isolation-exempt employees.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Fredericton shooter tells court he thought everyone in his building were demons
FREDERICTON — The man on trial for a 2018 mass shooting in Fredericton says he thought the end of times had begun and he might have to use his guns to fight his way out of his apartment. Matthew Raymond, 50, is on the witness stand for a second day, testifying in his own defence. He faces four counts of first-degree murder in the Aug. 10, 2018 deaths of Donnie Robichaud, Bobbie Lee Wright and Fredericton police constables Robb Costello and Sara Burns. The defence admits Raymond shot the victims but is trying to prove that he should be found not criminally responsible because of a mental disorder. Raymond told the court Wednesday that he thought the other residents of his apartment complex were all “demons” and that his mother was too and she had shared keys to his apartment. He said he had barricaded himself inside his apartment and interpreted noises he was hearing as threats. “I thought I’d have to use my gun to fight my way out,” he told the court. “I thought the whole complex were now demons.” Raymond said he thought people had been coming into his apartment unannounced and that the landlord could enter and take his guns. He said he was not sleeping and thought everyone was against him because he had staged a protest opposing immigration. 'I thought the end of times was in full swing,' Fredericton shooter tells jury at murder trial Mother of Fredericton shooter says she often advised him to see a doctor for help Defence lawyer Nathan Gorham showed notes and calculations Raymond had in his apartment. Most had calculations ending with numbers that Raymond said were indications of serpents and demons. One of the notes read: “You serpents picked the wrong man to test. I am not alone. He’s watching.” Raymond said the calculations also told him that he was going to have to leave the apartment, “otherwise I was going to die there.” Raymond said he is unable to interpret many of the calculations and notes today, because he no longer holds the strong belief in demons that guided his actions in 2018. “I don’t know what the heck this gibberish means,” he said. “It’s gone out of my mind. I don’t believe in it anymore.”
1 h
National Post | Canadian News, Financial...
After 12 years, arrest in abduction of former New York Times journalist David Rohde
The accused kidnapper, Haji Najibullah, who has been described as a former Taliban commander, was expected to be arraigned in U.S. District Court in Manhattan later Wednesday.
1 h
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...
Coronavirus: 1 case, 4 recoveries in London-Middlesex; 3 outbreak-related cases in Huron-Perth
Wednesday's update leaves 57 known active cases of the virus in London and Middlesex County.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Quebec spending $25M to boost mental health services for youth
More social workers, specialized teachers, nurses, psychologists and other workers will become available in the short term.
1 h
Montreal Latest News, Breaking Headlines...
BC Wildfire forecasting smoke from upcoming plans to burn wood piles near Naramata
BC Wildfire predicting visible smoke from upcoming plans to burn wood piles near Naramata.
1 h
Global News | Latest & Current News -...
Vinay Menon: Halloween is the treat kids need this year more than ever — pandemic or no pandemic
A few things will have to change, but whether you go trick-or-treating or not, you can — you should — still make kids’ Halloween suitably fun and frightening, writes Vinay Menon.
2 h
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...
Ontario fitness industry urges members to pressure Ford government to allow gyms to reopen
Goodlife Fitness is urging its members to write letters to Queen’s Park to after gyms in parts of the province were forced to close because of rising COVID-19 cases.
2 h
thestar.com | Toronto Star | Canada's...